The Create Shared Mailbox page allows administrators to create a shared mailbox.
Click the links below to learn more about shared mailboxes and the Create Shared Mailbox functionality:
- Shared Mailboxes:
- Shared Mailbox Screen
- How to Create a Shared Mailbox
A shared mailbox is a mailbox that can be accessed by multiple people within an organization.
For example: members of the Sales group at MessageOps would have access to a sales mailbox (say for example: MessageOpsSales@messageops.com) wherein each member would be able to access and respond to the application related messages within the mailbox. The emails would appear to be sent by the display name associated with the mailbox (for example: ‘Application Support’) instead of the individual members.
The shared mailbox consumes no license.
Creating Shared Mailboxes: Small Clients
The Shared Mailbox creation process is quick for small clients and a success notification usually appears indicating that the process was successful. If an error message appears, please contact Technical Support to troubleshoot and resolve the issue.
Creating Shared Mailboxes: Large Clients
The Shared Mailbox creation process may take longer in large clients. Please note, however, that the mailbox will still be created successfully. You can verify this by signing into your Outlook account and checking to see if the mailbox is listed in the Folders panel on the left.
If the mailbox is not listed, please contact Technical Support to troubleshoot and resolve the issue.
Shared Mailbox Screen
Mailbox Name* (Fig.1)
Name of the shared mailbox you want to create. This will be the display name associated with emails sent from this mailbox.
SMTP Address* (Fig.1)
SMTP address of the shared mailbox
Creates the shared mailbox.
How to Create a Shared Mailbox
- Log into 365 Command. The Mailbox Details Dashboard page appears.
- In the horizontal menu on the left side of the page, click Create Shared Mailbox (Fig.1). The Create Shared Mailbox screen appears (Fig.1).
- In the Mailbox Name* field, enter the name you want displayed in the Sender field (for example: “MessageOps Sales”) of all emails sent through this mailbox (Fig.1). Please note that the mailbox name must be unique. If the mailbox name is already in use, then the Create Shared Mailbox process will return an error.
- In the SMTP Address* field, enter the SMTP address of the shared mailbox. Click the drop down arrow and select the appropriate domain name (Fig.1). (The domain name dropdown list is pre-populated with all the domain names used within the business.)
- Click Create Mailbox (Fig.1).
Fig. 1 (Click image for magnified view)
A success message appears indicating that the mailbox has been successfully created (Fig.2).