This morning we got a barrage of Office 365 customer calls letting us know about outages with their service. It seems to be inconsistent where certain mailboxes are affected and overall access to the Office 365 portal/tenants are affected as well. We are working hard to get in touch with our Microsoft contacts to shed some light on what is going on and more importantly when it will be fixed.
In the meantime, we’ve heard the following from others experiencing issues:
- Users who stayed logged in over night are connected to email and lync but users trying to connect today cannot access lync, sharepoint, the portal, or get connected via outlook.
- Some users (thanks @WithinRafael, @bschorr and @magrom) said they thought a problem with Windows Azure Active Directory (WAAD) — which is the authentication mechanism for Office 365 and other Microsoft properties — could be at fault.
- Try to clear your browser tabs and restart to get into portal.
Some users posted these messages from Microsoft:
- Feb 01, 2013 9:39 AM Restoring service – Identity services may have been unavailable for multiple customers from 5:50 a.m (PST) until 7:17 (PST) due to networking issues in multiple data center. The service is being restored and most customers have their service restored at this time.
- A question mark by sharepoint features: We are investigating a potential issue. At this time we dont have enough information to identify whether this is an actual service incident. We will provide more information shortly.
- Feb 01, 2013 10:12 AM Investigation – We are investigating a potential issue. At this time we don’t have enough information to identify whether this is an actual service incident. We will provide more information shortly.
We’ll keep you posted as we hear more info. To get up to the minute posts, follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/365Command
More Updates (as of 11:33 am EST):
Microsoft’s official incident report says 57-minute outage in Identity Services was to blame for Office 365 issues this AM.
Per Mary Jo Foley, All About Microsoft – It’s increasingly looking like Azure Active Directory authentication component is what resulted in prolems across not just Office 365, but possibly also Windows Intune and Outlook.com. Identity services were down for about an hour, according to this Office 365 health dashboard snippet that my ZDNet colleague Ed bott shared with me: